Thursday, December 29, 2011

3D Apple Greeting Card

In Guiyang, there is a tradition for people to give each other apples as gifts for Christmas.

My pile of apples wrapped in ridiculous amounts of cellophane.

I wanted to make something for my students that was meaningful, and I really liked the idea of these recycled book crafts, so I decided to take my own spin on it and make a 3D apple out of a notebook!

First I grabbed some notebooks (not the spiral bound kind), and ripped off the cover.


Then I drew the outline of an apple and cut it out.


I colored the edges of the apple with a red marker. If I had spray paint or a red ink pad, I would've rather used that, but I'm in China. Those are luxuries I am not willing to go out of my way to obtain.


I wrote in a Christmas message on the pages of the apple and gently tugged on all the pages to fan them out. Then I glued on a little twig to one of the folds and voila! Paper apple! (I really wish I had spray paint or something but it's not bad!)

  
Hehe an apple on an Apple! Get it?
I probably won't make this for Christmas in America, but it might be a cute teacher gift if you put pictures of students or thumbprints with their signatures on the pages.  :)

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment