Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Greatest Achievement

Goodness gracious! This week has just been full of craziness and fun! I just got back from my freshmen girls' dorm where we had a SPONTANEOUS DANCE PARTY.

You may not realize how big of a deal this is. Maybe I should refer you to this post about my earlier experience in freshmen girls dancing.

Uh huh. Remember that?

Now compare that to this:



Wow! It looks like they actually feel comfortable dancing!

What happened was some of my students complained that they feel like they don't have enough social activities at their school. I explained to them that the only reason why American students have so many social activities is because the students are the ones to initiate, plan, and host all these fun things. In contrast, Chinese students always wait for their teachers to allow them to have a party for a school event. I told them that if they want more social activities, they should just have some parties in their dorms.

So they did!

They invited me to their dorm, and at first we just sat around playing cards, but eventually everyone got pretty tired of sitting down. We all got up to stretch, someone put on music, and the next thing you know, I was jumping around and saying, "THIS IS DANCING! JUST DO IT!" That resulted in this:


Soon they were going crazy. They started calling all their friends to come. Whoever passed by their dorm they would seriously ambush and drag them into our party! Haha! It was crazy!



We probably danced for a good 2 hours. I'm super glad they had fun and actually were active for once! Yay! What an awesome time!

In the end, as the school year draws to a close, I consider getting my students to actually have spontaneous, active fun as my greatest achievement in my year teaching here.

1 comment: